How NotifyVisitors split testing will not affect the SEO ranking of the page
What is Split Testing ?
Split testing is a software tool that enables a marketer to compare two different pages of a webpage. One can determine the performing ability of the original page and the varied one.
The main aim is to enhance the site’s experience for users. In other words, the goal is to boost conversions.
Split Test will have a two-way effect. One is, it will impact the users. On the other side, the Search engine will also take it into account to rank the site. If you split test correctly, you will get marvelous results. If done in the wrong way, it will affect your rankings.
How does it affect SEO rankings
While split testing the webpage, you tend to have two different versions. When Google determines your web page’s ranking. What will take a toll on the process? It’s the different versions of a page with minute differences amongst them. It will confuse the google to rank which page. In turn, your site might get caught for fraudulence.
Also, in the case of testing URL redirects, Split Test can affect the visibility of the site.
General SEO recommendations :
- Do include google bot : Split testing tools offer great user targeting abilities. Do not use the tools to debar bot.
- Do not display too different pages : Do not display too different pages. It will confuse the users. Also, Google might take it as a manipulation attempt.
Best practices with URL directs
While you want to make various changes to your page. In spite of using an editor to create a variation. You can redirect users to a whole new page, which has its own URL. This case could turn into a total disaster. As you are losing the original version and hosting a variant on your site.
It will reduce your SEO rankings to a greater extent. So, what should you do to avoid the scenario :
- Do not block google bots : Do not block google bots through your site’s .txt file. It will hamper the bot from reading the content. Also, if you are adding no index command on alternate pages. It will not allow the bot to add pages to Google's index. If you are following the instructions. There will be no chance of your alternate version to get ranked.
- Set value to the original page : Set value to the original page, will allow Google to serve the same page to the users. Also, it will confirm the bots that variant page has no value. So,you need to set the value to the original page each time you are testing a set of Pages.
- Redirects visitors through temporary redirects : Rechannel visitors through 302 redirection. Google will take it as a temporary redirection. Hence, it will not change its index accordingly.
- Modify the original page with new elements : Once the redirection procedure completes . Infuse all the new elements to the original page, as it will ease a conversion.
Effective practices for standard tests :
- No. of elements for the overlays must be in limit.
- Make sure the overlays do not conceal the elements of the pages.
- Don’t overstretch the test time.
Facts about mobile SEO
In case you are using the Split test solution on a mobile device. It becomes a sensitive issue to confront for SEO, as Google is devising a new mobile roll indexing.
Earlier google use to rank a site on the basis of the desktop version of the content. With the onset of mobile roll indexing. Google is using the mobile device content for ranking instead of the desktop version.
Hence, it's important to keep certain elements , that are vital to SEO. Specifically for mobile device navigation.
Does personalization affect SEO ?
Split URL test tools have effective personalization abilities. By recognizing user behavior on the website. You can personalize the user experience by offering them targeted messages. It can affect SEO too.
For e.g. If you want to highlight customized content with a pop in to optimize a mobile site. Google will find it hazardous as the page’s content will not be accessible on a mobile device.
Hence, you must adjust the pop-ins to fit-in. This way you can keep up with the rankings of your site.
While testing, you can apply the above practices to not hamper your SEO rankings.